The old baroque city on the river Main, is the capital of the Bavarian government district of Lower Franconia, and the center of the German wine-growing area in Franconia . Middle of the 8th Century it became a bishop and a little later royal palace. Already in 1402 the first university was founded. Over the centuries, a veritable monument was built with, for example, the Old Town Hall, Marie Bridge, Marienberg, bishop's residence and universities. During the Second World War, in a single night of bombing the city and its monuments destroyed almost completely, but after the war and rebuilt in its former glory. In the town itself or on the edge of them are now world-famous vineyards, with many individual layers as Abtsleite , inner bar , Pfaffenberg (single location, Germany) and Stone (single location, Germany) (plot with stone-harp). She also is the headquarters of the three oldest German wineries which are Civil Hospital , Julius Hospital and State Hofkeller WÃ¼rzburg . There is also the Bavarian State Institute for Viticulture and Horticulture, which is mainly about the research and breeding varieties work.